When creating a password, we recommend:
- Minimum of eight (8) characters
- Using upper case (CAPITAL) and lower case (small) letters
- Include numbers
- Include special characters and / or symbols ( ! , . & % )
Tips for a secure password
- Don’t use the same password twice
- Don’t use personal information
- Don’t use a dictionary word
- Don’t use your name
- Don’t use your email address
This information is seen as easy to guess and therefore easy to crack.
If you use the same password on many sites, a hacker who compromises one site can easily gain access to your account on all the others.
Passwords to Avoid Using
Some of the most vulnerable passwords to avoid using are:
- Password / passw0rd / password1
- 12345 / 123456 / 1234567890
- qwerty / qwertyuiop / 1qaz2wsx
- welcome / login / admin
The reason why you should not use them is because they are easily guessed and therefore seen as very weak passwords.